March 22, 2014

Fatigue

There have been some big changes in my life, even more of them.  I don't know whether I needed to let it all sink in, or find a way to express myself, but I hadn't feel ready to talk about it until now.  I have a new doctor, and we've discovered that my autoimmune disease is a type of seronegative spondyloarthropathy.  More specifically, Psoriatic Arthritis seems to fit, a condition where the immune system attacks soft tissues and joints.  It's similar to Rheumatoid Arthritis.

My most disabling symptom for years had been pain, but in the last few months fatigue has taken over.  This isn't just feeling tired, or being drained by pain.  This is a whole new level of fatigue, where merely standing is difficult and my thoughts move like molasses.  It has also caused muscle weakness, dizziness, joint pain, and impaired my thoughts and memories.  I am rarely able to leave my home except for medical appointments.

I don't know what the future holds.  I felt positive a couple months ago when I finally got a diagnosis.  Now I just wish I was able to function enough to enjoy life.  I'm grateful to have caring friends who I can keep in touch with online.  I have loving family.  And I'm still able to knit.  I've completed a few knitting projects and hope to share them, health permitting.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you have such trouble. My Mum was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis 18 months ago after a long time of unusual and debilitating pain. Not one to ever stay still she was sore (to say the least) and could not do any things she normally does. But after trial and error with pain medications and a lot of time, she is back to normal. It took a while to get the right dosage right but once that was done it is now fine. I hope this is what will happen for you. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry to hear about your mom, glad she's in remission! That's what we're aiming for, it's just a slow process as you know. I'm an expert on hanging in: I could give lessons. In fact, I have given lessons, lol.

      Delete
  2. Ugh fatigue is horrible. Yay that you have knitting though! I am going through a pain med doseage change this weekend and sometimes it helps me through to think about my other friends with chronic pain and how much they rock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna, I have some amazing chronic friends. I don't know what I'd do without them!

      Delete

I adore comments! Thanks for taking the time :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...