October 12, 2015

World Arthritis Day

It's World Arthritis Day.  Autoimmune disease is huge, and nasty: Type 1 diabetes, Crohn's, RA and psoriasis are all caused by the body's immune system mistakenly attacking itself.   There are at least 80 autoimmune diseases, and they affect at least 23 million Americans--that's more than heart disease, and 2.5 times the incidence of cancer!  That figure only includes statistics from 24 AI diseases.  The true figure may be closer to 50 million, or 15% of the US population (AARDA).

But autoimmune disease is largely invisible.  While it ravages your insides you are left with your soft human shell intact.  And ill people do their best to appear normal.  Think I "don't look sick?"  That's because you don't see me on the days when I can't change out of pjs or leave the house.

There's more that I'd like to say but fatigue and brain fog are making it difficult.  Instead of pushing myself further I'll sign off now.  Maybe that will say enough.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

I adore comments! Thanks for taking the time :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...