June 18, 2011

Quilt is Basted!

It took two tries but the quilt is basted :)  The first try had the backing stretched too tight, so I had to redo it.  My rug is great for smoothing out fabric--it sort of velcros the fabric.

I spread the backing fabric, then the batting, muslin and the quilt top.  I smoothed all the layers, especially the backing and top, so there are (hopefully) no wrinkles in the final quilt.

Quilt roll up

Lots of safety pins=sore fingers
 Unfortunately the backing fabric shrunk in the wash so it's a little short.  I'd calculated so there would be extra, but forgot to account for shrinkage.  Luckily there's extra width so I'll chop some off the side and seam it to the top.  If I do this well it'll blend in with a quilting line.  I think I'll hand baste 1/4" below the seam between the borders then position the backing patch and sew.  This should position the seam well, but we'll see.
Too much and too little backing fabric

2 comments:

  1. I do not have the patience for quilting, but I am envious of your blue colors here. Nice problem solving skills on the shrunken fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @The Slapdash Sewist
    Thanks! Quilting is good when I want to sew but don't have the energy to fit garments.

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments! Thanks for taking the time :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...