|Sewing machine cover|
I almost finished these in 2010... Using the remaining fabric from the wall art piece, I sewed up a couple sewing machine covers. They're pretty simple: pieces the size of the sides and top of the machine (plus SAs) sewn together with piping. The piping made it a more involved project but I really like the result. I'd never used piping before and it was surprisingly easy. I definitely recommend a rotary cutter.
The second cover is for my serger. This was simpler but also could use some stiffening, at least in the top portion.
My piping is far from perfect but I definitely improved by the end of the project. I cut the piping 1.5cm wide, with 1cm SAs and .5cm for the piping itself. I used white yarn from my stash to fill it.
With the zipper foot I sewed the piping to one piece of fabric, then sewed the two pieces of fabric together with piping sandwiched in the middle. I learned to sew just outside my first stitching line to hide the previous stitching. Halfway through the project I thought of this ;)