April 30, 2011

Weddings and Lace

I didn't watch the royal wedding.  Almost everyone else did, it seems, so I read about it on some blogs.  What caught my attention was a description of the lace in the dress.  I knit a Shetland shawl for my veil when I got married, a lifetime ago.  One corner was gently gathered and sewn to a comb decorated in freshwater pearls and crystal.  I gave the shawl to a good friend when his daughter was born.




I used traditional Shetland motifs that were relevant to my life: fir trees, ferns, waves and rings.  I hadn't intended for it to be 7' square!  But it was lovely, and was me.  It was knit using Zephyr silk/merino yarn in ivory and a 3.25mm bamboo circular needle, taking a little less than 3 months to finish.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I adore comments! Thanks for taking the time :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...