July 4, 2012

Value of Not Creating, Part 2

I realized after writing the previous post that I wasted a fabulous post title.  Now that my thoughts have coalesced I'll give it another go.

In the West we live with such abundance.  The easy availability of anything you could ever want is mind blowing.  From clothing to electronics to food, everywhere we look there's excess.  I'm in favor of people creating, especially with their own hands, but at a certain point it's too much.

When your hobby is making things that cover the body, like mine, you eventually have too many dresses or sweaters or scarves.  We love to acquire, it's instinctive to gather while the gathering's good.  I have tubs of stored fabric, a chest of yarn, and I love it all.  But when I look at my life and the lives of those around me I don't see a need for more.  The gathering is always good.

We create beautiful things as a way to add to the world and fulfill a creative desire.  Part of appreciating what we have is being able to see and use those things.  Is having ten gorgeous hats really better than having two or three?  For me less is more.  The beauty of a flower lies not just in its bloom, but in the progress of bud to blossom to seed.  It's all the more lovely because it's ephemeral, and the knowledge that next spring will bring more flowers gives hope and meaning to the routine of our lives.

Happy Independence Day to US readers, and to all worldwide who are blessed to have freedom.


2 comments:

  1. This post couldn't have come at a better time.. I am struggling with this issue of having too much stuff. I am a good knitter, and I've been knitting for a while, and I simply don't have any more need or space for additional scarves or shawls or even sweaters... It's a first world problem, obviously, but I like making stuff. I'm not quite sure what to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't found a good solution either. I love knitting lace shawls but, even more than sweaters, there are only so many I can use! I've considered selling pieces, more as an excuse to reknit a great pattern than to make money. Others have obviously had the same thought, though, and etsy is overrun with handknits. I suppose I'll continue giving things to friends and family.

      Delete

I adore comments! Thanks for taking the time :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...