After basting and trying on many times I got a nice fit. The skirt originally had no hip shaping, just straight lines from waist to hem, and the darts were flat-arse sized.
Then I noticed a small tear in the wool, near a side seam. I decided to patch it from the back with some of the fabric trimmed off the seam allowances. I used pick stitches around the patch and on the frayed threads, and it looks good. Most importantly it's done!
The self fabric pockets bags didn't lie flat so I resewed them. As soon as I put my hands in the pockets they stretched out again :/ I graded and whipped down the side seam allowances for a smoother line at the hip. Then I restitched the hem and waistband, sewed the bar closure back on, and it was finished :)
Unfortunately the skirt is black, and I have neither a tripod nor a photographer, so the photos are crap. Please also excuse the cat hair.
I like that this looks vintage yet works with so many pieces in my closet. I even have boots to wear with it! And I'm so not a shoe person.
|Front pocket detail|
|Back of skirt|
|Back with zip open: shows lining, pinked |
seam allowances and self fabric pockets
|Skirt with new jacket|
What a great find! I love finding vintage home sewn pieces. I feel a great kinship with the maker.ReplyDelete